Eligibility for Hire
Eligibility for appointment to sworn positions in the Conway Police Department is governed by Ark. Code Ann. § 14-51-301, as that statute may be amended from time to time. All necessary prerequisites to being considered for such positions shall be included in job postings distributed by the HR Department. In addition to the minimum qualifications stated below, applicants must comply with any deadlines for submitting all necessary information in order to be eligible to compete in the hiring process. Deadlines for submitting such necessary information shall be set by the HR Department. Selection of the Police Chief is not governed by these Rules and Regulations.
To be considered for employment as a police officer with the Conway Police Department, applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications, most of which are promulgated by the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards ("ACLES"). In the event of additions or modifications adopted by the ACLES, such changes shall be followed, and will be included in this section without need of a public hearing:
- Citizen of the United States;
- Applicant must turn twenty-one (21) years of age within six (6) months of test date;
- No felony convictions or misdemenor domestic abuse convictions;
- High school graduate or possess GED;
- Hold a valid driver's license;
- Be of good character as determined by a thorough background investigation;
- Have acceptable vision (uncorrected visual acuity must not exceed 20/100 in either eye, correctable to 20/20 or better in each eye);
- Possess normal hearing and be free of any hearing defect which, in the opinion of the physician administering the required post-offer physical examination, could adversely affect performance of duty; and
- Successfully complete a physical agility test, psychological examination and post-offer physical examination, including a post-offer of employment drug test.
1 Written Examination
First, candidates must take and pass a written examination. This exam is video-based and there is not a study guide or test-prep. It will identify candidates who have the observation and analytic ability to assess situations, the confidence and maturity to handle enforcement, the skills to interact with the public in a customer oriented way, the respect to work within a chain of command and the responsibility and ethics to handle the authority of the job.
2 Physical Agility Test
Those candidates whom successfully passed the written examination will be authorized to continue the hiring process by completing our Physical Agility Test. The physical agility course utilized by the Conway Police Department consists of three (3) phases. Phases (1) and (2) are times and the combined time for completion of both phases must not exceed 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Phase (1) includes activities such as running, climbing a 4’ high fence, clearing a 5’ long jump, and traversing a set of stairs multiple laps. Phase (3) is not timed but will begin after a 30 second rest after completing phase (2). For phase (3) participants must carry a torso bag (weighing 100lbs) a distance of 50’ without dropping or setting down the bag.
Re-application: If an applicant fails any portion of the selection process or is not offered employment before the list expires, they may retake the exam on the next testing date.
3 Preference Points (will be given for the following Educational / Vocational qualifications):
- For current certified police officer requiring no more than the one-week refresher at ALETA
- For bi-lingual in conversational Spanish or ASL sign language (proficiency test will be given)
- For 30 or more college credit hours with 2.0 or higher grade point
- Additional points will be awarded for 60-99 college credit hours with 2.0 or higher grade point
- For Military Service member (if prior service must have honorable discharge)
4 Background Investigation
Candidates who pass both the entry level and physical agility test will undergo a complete background investigation including a Truth Verification test. Candidates receiving conditional offers of employment will undergo a physical and psychological exam, visual acuity test, hearing exam and drug screen.